Alicia was born and raised in Santa Ana, El Salvador. She is the bilingual author and publisher of Delicious El Salvador: 75 Authentic Recipes for Traditional Salvadoran Cooking, and the Spanish language edition, El Salvador, Sabores Deliciosos: 75 Recetas Auténticas de la Cocina Tradicional Salvadoreña. Alicia’s mission is to preserve, rescue and document authentic Salvadoran recipes for future generations, and food lovers everywhere.
She learned to cook from her mother, grandmother, aunts and friends. Alicia's Salvadoran turkey was recently featured in Telemundo 52, Los Angeles. Alicia is known as El Salvador's Culinary Ambassador.
Alicia has been featured in top media outlets, including Telemundo 52 Los Angeles, CNN Latino, MundoFox, Esmitv, The Latin Kitchen, Los Angeles Magazine, La Opinion, EFE, El Tiempo Latino, Cook’s Cook Magazine and more. Alicia was named El Salvador's Culinary Ambassador by UCLA Magazine, Revista Ella from El Salvador, and Sercano TV.
She has taught Salvadoran cooking classes at her home, Whole Foods, Surfas Culinary District, and on live TV in Viva La Mañana, a morning show in El Salvador. Featured Chef Latin Food Fest 2016. In 2017, at the invitation of the Culinary Historians of Southern California, she gave a talk on Salvadoran food history at the Los Angeles Grand Central Library. In 2018 she did a cooking demo at Melissa's Produce for social media influencers, that included chefs, food writers, bloggers and authors from Los Angeles. In October 2020, via Zoom, she gave a talk on Salvadoran food for the Culinary Historians of San Diego.
In 2014, in Beijing, Alicia won the prestigious Gourmand award for her cookbook Delicious El Salvador, category, Best First Cookbook in the World. Delicious El Salvador also won a Gourmand Award at the Frankfurt Book Fair in 2020, for Best First Cookbook of the last twenty five years. These are the first international cookbook awards for El Salvador’s traditional home cooking. Her translation of Delicious El Salvador, El Salvador, Sabores Deliciosos was a semi-finalist, category translation, in the 2018 Gourmand awards.
Alicia was a contributor to The Immigrant Cookbook: Recipes That Make America Great, from Interlink Publishing. She represented the millions of Salvadoran immigrants living in the US.
Alicia graduated from UCLA with a bachelor’s degree in Art History. Shortly after arriving in Southern California, she met her future husband Joseph and they are the proud parents of three wonderful sons.
Alicia has always celebrated and recognized the rich legacy of Salvadoran family recipes that have been passed down from generation to genera
· Pupusa Master Classes Surfas
· Los Angeles Times Festival of Books
· T.V. interview in Arriba Mi Gente, Canal 21 El Salvador
· Radio interview La Chevere 100.9 FM El Salvador
· Radio interview, Super Estrella 94.1 FM El Salvador
· UCLA Alumni Day Line Up Talent-Cooking Demo and Book Signing
UCLA Fundraiser for Scholarships for The Latino Alumni Association Sept. 21St at my home.
· Barbara Hansen Interview for The Cook’s Cook Online Magazine
· Contributor to The Immigrant Cookbook- “A diverse bounty of recipes by immigrant chefs from around the world”. Interlink Publishing
· Charity cooking for fourteen angels
· Pacific Food and Beverage Museum Cooking Demo and Book Signing
· Melissa’s Produce Cooking Demo and Book Signing
· Gerry Furth-Sides for Local Food Eater Blog “Alicia Maher’s Family Recipes in Delicious El Salvador Book”
· Mention in Jerusalem Post by Faye and Yakir Levy for my Latin Style Trifle
· Salvadoran Pastry Class. Students raved about it.
· Salvadoran Food History Talk for Culinary Historians Of Southern California, Los Angeles Grand Central Library, Mark Taper Auditorium
· Private tasting for chefs and cookbook authors Faye and Yakir Levy
· OC Fair Cooking Demo
· Released Delicious El Salvador in Spanish, El Salvador, Sabores Deliciosos
· Featured in Revista Ella magazine, published by La Prensa Grafica. Named El Salvador’s Culinary Ambassador
· Live Online Video with Kimlai Yingling on how to make “Tortitas con Carne”
· Cooking demo and book signing at Whole Foods Los Angeles
· Cooking demo and book signing at Latin Food Fest Los Angeles
· Online live interview Sercano T.V. with Lidia Gaitan Torres
· Represented El Salvador at the IACP Conference 2016
· Represented El Salvador in Gourmand Awards, Yantai, China
· T.V. interview Viva La Mañana with Luciana Sandoval and Daniel Rucks
· Radio interview Super Estrella 94.1 FM with Jose Calderon and chef Norma Schuler.
· Pupusa Class at Surfas
· LA Times Festival of Books. Exhibited and book signing
· Featured On EFE “Salvadoreños celebran cena de Acción de Gracias con su tradicional cena”
· Frankfurt Book Fair, winner Best First Cookbook of the World last twenty years
· Private tasting for chef Amy Riolo
· Featured on chef and cookbook author Amy Riolo
· Private tasting for two Salvadoran ambassadors, Walter Duran, El Salvador's ambassador to Ecuador and Ruben Zamora, former Salvadoran ambassador to the United States and to the United Nations
· Gourmand Award, Beijing, winner Best First Cookbook of the World
· Taste of El Salvador Cooking Demo and Book Signing at Surfas
· Taste of El Salvador Cooking Demo and Book Signing at Whole Foods Los Angeles
· Latin Food Fest La Joya Cooking Demo and Book Signing
· LA Times Festival of Books. First Salvadoran cookbook at the festival
· Delicious El Salvador official release party from El Salvador Consulate in Los Angeles. First Salvadoran Cookbook in English.
· Featured in La Opinion
· Latin Food Fest La Joya Cooking Demo and Book Signing
· T.V. interview Variedades Con Sandra with Sandra Chavarria
· T.V. interview Mundo Fox News with Carolina Sarassa
· T.V. interview Estrella TV with Rosie Orbach
Copyright © 2018 DeliciousElSalvador.com - All Rights Reserved.